About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Friends For a Cause: Lupus Foundation of America

Written by Marketing Intern Rose Provine

You never realize the severity of a disease or sickness until you or someone you love is directly affected. Unfortunately, this has been the case for me over the past week. My friend’s struggles have led me to the complete understanding and realization that lupus is a painful and lifelong disease.

My friend, Charlene, was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 13. Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that occurs when your body’s immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. Inflammation caused by lupus can damage any part of the body, including skin, joints, kidneys, blood cells, heart and lungs. Her case was very rare, as lupus normally strikes women of childbearing age, and more commonly ages 30-45. 

I never realized the extremity of this disease until this week. I knew Charlene had struggled with this for the majority of her life, but I never saw her at her worst. I found out she was in the hospital on Tuesday morning and visited her later that day. I was shocked with what I found. My fun-loving and energetic friend was not herself. She laid on the hospital bed, unable to move, speak, or even breathe on her own. It hurt me to see my friend in so much pain, and made me appreciate both her and life so much more.

There is currently no cure for lupus. However, The Lupus Foundation of America is a national nonprofit health organization dedicated to finding the causes and cure for lupus. It provides support, services and hope to all people affected by lupus. You can visit this website to learn more or to make a donation.

 Charlene and I in December

Charlene and I this January, right after she got the tubes removed and was able to breathe on her own again.

To support other diseases by shopping, visit Uptown Liz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've known several people also living with Lupus. Supporting each other is our duty as humans, and makes us realize how fragile our lives really are





2007 Uptown Liz