About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Sunday, February 1, 2009

How I Honor Liz's Memory (Elizabeth Overturf)


Today is the third anniversary of my sister Liz's death. This day isn't harder than any other day. I don't think of her more today than yesterday, last month or last year. An anniversary is just the marking of time, and it's realizing that is has been three years since I last saw my sister that is difficult.

My family, friends and I talk about Liz every day - "Liz would have loved that" or "Liz would have thought that was so funny". She was such a bright light - a force really - who left such a strong mark, that it seems she is always with us.

Liz was misdiagnosed at the age of 23 and by the time a proper diagnosis of breast cancer came at 26, it was too late. That shouldn't have happened, and it doesn't need to happen again.

I honor my sister's life in many ways; creating this business, fundraising for cancer awareness and research and by being my own health advocate. I believe that by taking care of myself, talking to others about their health and sharing the information I have learned is one of the best ways I can use my life.

If you have lost someone close to you, how do you honor their life?

Photo Caption: Liz Overturf in 1999.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

My father died when I was a boy (also of cancer - although with him it was a brain tumor) and even now 25 years later it stings so i know what you are talking about. I think losing someone very close leaves a void in your soul and I love that you honor your sister's life in the ways that you do - this is definitely the best way of making sense of her loss in your life. I am ashamed to say that I have not been in any way as dedicated as you and for me, your fundraising for cancer awareness is an invaluable and powerful thing. Having read your blog I am determined to do more too. Thank you.
tanzanite

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to hear of Liz's passing. I went to highschool with her. She was such a nice and beautiful person. I still remember the last days of school when we all went around signing our senior high school yearbooks. It's just so surreal to know that such a young person was taken away and so soon. I can't imagine the pain that your family has gone through. There is nothing but time that can heal the hole left behind. I appreciate your efforts and commitment to educate others on her story. The fact that someone my age was affected by this disease has motivated me to make sure I monitor myself too. God Bless.

Uptown Liz said...

Tanzanite,

Thank you so much for leaving this beautiful comment. I agree that losing you someone you love, especially tragically, leaves a hole in your soul that can never be filled. I wish you the best of luck as you honor your father's memory.

Ramona

Uptown Liz said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for leaving this comment about Liz. She was beautiful and very kind. Part of the mission for Uptown Liz is not only to share Liz's story, but to encourage people to become their own health advocates.

Thank you,
Ramona





2007 Uptown Liz