About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Sunday, October 21, 2007

How Uptown Liz Began


I often get asked how I came up with the idea for Uptown Liz. So here is the story…

I knew since college that one day I would own my own business. As the type-A-overachiever, I was the one doing all the work in group assignments in school and the last one to leave the office when I started my career. The perfectionist (recovering) in me went to bed many nights worried about work. I figured if I wasn’t going to be able to leave work at the office, then I might as well have my own business.

While my sister, Liz, was sick I was working in marketing and public relations. Although I loved my work, the industry was very stressful and demanding. I wanted a job where I could still be challenged, but have more flexibility to spend time with the people I loved. This desire became stronger and more nagging as Liz’s illness progressed.

I decided leave my job to start my own business and two days after my last day of work, my family received the news that Liz had only weeks to live, not months (or possible years as they had hoped). So my business was immediately put on hold as I helped my mother care for my sister in the last couple months of her life.

After Liz died, I could not imagine what I was going to do with my life. Starting a business overwhelmed me, but so did the idea of going back to work in my field. Two months later, I decided to continue with my marketing and public relations business. Steady clients started coming in and I felt that this might be the answer, but that answer proved to be temporary.

I regularly sent out e-mail newsletters to clients and friends on various topics, and for the October 2006 (breast cancer awareness month) newsletter, however, I did something a little different and sent a list of risk factors for breast cancer and retail products that had proceeds going to the disease. An acquaintance responded with the suggestion that I do this on a regular basis in honor of Liz. Over the next few months, ideas started forming from that suggestion, but I would dismiss them and move on to something else. Until one spring day in 2007, I told a good friend my idea to create a Web-based business that would list and promote products that go charity. She thought the idea was amazing, even though at the time I didn’t know how I would do it, or how it would make money.

The next step was incubating the idea with Ladies Who Launch – a national company with local chapters that offer workshops to help women launch businesses (Whitney Roberts led my group here in Sacramento). After that successful experience, I formed a focus group with some of the members from Ladies Who Launch to help me iron out the strategic details. Focus group members, Whitney, Neeta and Beth put their best business feet forward and worked with me on the name, look, feel and mission of the company. I was determined to launch the business on what would have been my sister’s 30th birthday. So over the next two months I spent every waking moment (while running my marketing business) to launch Uptown Liz. I recruited the talents of my graphic designer friend (That Designer Guy) and sent out e-mails to only a few close friends and family sworn to secrecy to help me with design decisions, Web site copy, and other miscellaneous details.

On July 17, 2007 (what would have been Liz’s 30th birthday) at 6:30 p.m., Uptown Liz was launched. Since that day, the company has taken off faster than I ever imagined. The positive response from retailers, media and the public have amazed me. I get beautiful e-mails and phone calls every day about what good work I’m doing, or how proud Liz would have been. Although it is an incredible amount of hard work (and often an emotional roller coaster), this company has been a blessing to me. By some serendipity, I have created my perfect job. I am making a difference in the world by promoting products that benefit charity, working in the field that I love and excel at (marketing, public relations and fundraising), all while creating a legacy for my sister.

When my sister was sick, she told me one of her dreams was to own a boutique with me. I never thought about whether I would actually enjoy running Uptown Liz, or whether it was really my dream. I just wanted to share my sister’s story, help others in my work and give her the boutique she always wanted. It is my gift to her. Thank you for sharing it with me.
Photo caption: Liz (left) and Ramona in 2001.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ramona-

Your site is awesome and so are you! Keep up the great work you do for people! :)

Anonymous said...

Mona,
I am so excited about how well UP Town Liz is doing. Melissa and i visit the site everyday, and shop like crazy on here. We love and miss Lizzy so much, its awesome that we can continue to keep her legacy alive. You are such an amazing and stong woman, for the work you have created. :) xoxo
melissa and alicia webster





2007 Uptown Liz