About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Be An Advocate With Your Doctor

As Breast Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, it is important not to forget all of the people suffering from this disease. Because of my sister’s tragic death, I am mostly reminded of the younger patients.

At 33 years old, Amy’s boyfriend found a lump in her breast. Even with a family history of her mother dying of breast cancer when she was 60, her gynecologist dismissed the lump claiming, “I don’t feel anything”. After seeing her General Practitioner she was diagnosed with stage I breast cancer, but a year and half later (after some pain in her back) Amy’s cancer has spread to her bones, giving her a new diagnosis of stage IV.

When I listen to Amy’s story, I can’t help but notice the similarities in my sister’s. Her misdiagnosis, the fast-spreading and aggressive behavior of her disease, her stolen (or changed) hopes and dreams, and all the other complications that come with stage IV breast cancer.

This is just another reminder for all of us to be advocates with our doctors, and to not put off taking care of our health for one single day.

I wish Amy (and all the other people suffering from breast cancer) a future filled with good health and much joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutly Amazing! What a wonderful thing you are doing.





2007 Uptown Liz