About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Women for a Cause: Interview with Kim MacGregor of IBelieveShesAmazing.com (Part 2)



RR: What would you like everyone who has watched the video to know?

KM: You hear so much about how much we have to do to be successful or how much we have to do to make a difference in the world. And I think that is overrated. I think the simplest thing we can do is to be kind to one another, and when we feel that someone has made a difference in our life, speak up and tell them.  I don’t think we need to wait for someone to die, or to get a life threatening diagnosis, or to graduate from university, or to get married, or any of those milestone that we pass in life. I think the value comes when we hear those things throughout our life often, and we have a believer, someone who believes in us. 

We often hear people talk about who was the most amazing person in our lives and it is not necessarily an Oprah Winfrey (though she is and fabulously inspiring person).  It is often times a teacher, a mother, a friend, a nurse, a neighbor, or somebody close to us that said something that made a difference in our lives.  I really want people to be aware of that; to tell the people the amazing women in their lives if they think that they’re amazing. Don’t keep it in. There is such a beauty in sharing; not just for the person receiving the compliment but also for the person giving the compliment. 

I truly believe that every single person in the world can make a difference.  I don’t Erika realizes what a difference she made.  My 11 year old daughter still sleeps with a picture of Erika under her pillow.  She made such a profound difference in our lives just by her unconditional love, her spirit, her support, and belief in everything.  Everybody can make a difference in small ways; we don’t have to go and build schools. Those are all benevolent and wonderful things, but we don’t all have to run a multimillion dollar company to make a difference. You can make a difference in these small meaningful ways.

RR: What is your goal for Ibelieveshesamazing.com?

KM:  I would love for the video to be more viral.  We have not done any traditional media yet; it has all been very grass roots.  So far we have had over 37,000 views in just over a month.   I am very proud of that.  I think that once it starts to get picked up more my bloggers and other people like you, we will reach our million. 

We have also been receiving some wonderful recognition from the website.  I am planning to launch I Believe She is Amazing TV, where I hit the streets and talk to people and give them the opportunity to give recognition to an amazing woman.  My long term goal is that I would love to create a foundation to support women and girls initiatives.  There is so much to be done in the world right now with young girls and women all around the world, not just North America.  To have a part in that - investing in the future for empowering young girls and women to go to school or start a business - would be a really wonderful thing to come out of all of this; so it doesn’t just fade away and stays something very meaningful that can continue to touch more people’s lives and ripple out even further.

RR: Your inspirational friend, Erika Heller, who motivated you to begin this movement, what do you think she would think about it if she was here now?

KM:  I think that she would think it was the most incredible thing.  I think she would be so excited to be in the middle of it all, and I think she would be so embracing of every single person that has joined this movement.  Because she was just that person that loved people and she loved to inspire people, so I think she would be very, very honored.  I think it would be a real pleasure for her to know that this was something that was inspired by her…and probably modestly so.

Stay tuned for Part 3.

Photo caption:  IBelieveShesAmazing.com Flash Mob

No comments:





2007 Uptown Liz