About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Sunday, April 25, 2010

Turning my black thumb to a green thumb on Earth Day

I have no green thumb. If there’s a term for having a black thumb, I have it. Years of being wiped out with allergies have kept me from becoming one with nature. During spring, my entire face looks like a cartoon balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors. When I leave my house. But until they design Kleenex boxes that match my handbags, I'll be gardending indoors. Hey, watching Nate Berkus do a backyard makeover totally counts.

Enter in Hubby. He has the greenest thumb I know, and loves working in the yard. He calls it his therapy/time away from me. Way cheaper than a marriage counselor. He can tinker in the yard for hours, and sometimes, well most of the time, he boasts about the color of our grass compared to our neighbors. Out loud. Where they can hear him.

I recently read an article that plants help purify the air indoors. Meaning, they help clear out toxins and help with allergies. So I added “get house plants” to the honey-do list. Mr. Martha Stewart jumped on this task. An excuse to spend hours at Home Depot, and find decorative pots to match our house was too much to resist. He also loves the taco stand out front.

Looking at the beautiful plants all around my house, makes me so happy. Not only did the air immediately start to smell different, they have added some “décor” to the house. Tops of cabinets and corners that have remained bare due to my lack of creativity are now brimming with green. I’m kicking Hubby he didn’t do this years ago.

To up the décor and down the toxicity in your home, buy some plants from this list. And leave a comment and let us know which ones you bought.

Photo caption 1: Peace Lily
Photo caption 2: Rubber Tree

No comments:





2007 Uptown Liz