About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gavin de Becker's MOSAIC will save lives

Being a woman, safety is something that has always concerned me. I am alert in parking garages, I immediately lock my car when I get in, and when there is a male worker in my home, I have my cell phone in my hand and the front and back doors open.

As long as I can remember, I have always listened to my intuition. Whether it's a personal or professional matter, my gut has never led me wrong.

I have my mother to thank for this, who, years ago, bought my sister and I the book, "The Gift of Fear" by safety expert Gavin de Becker. There are so many things that from that book that I will never forget.

1. We are the only animals that will ignore our intuition and walk into the fear.
2. When a man says no, it's the end of the discussion. When a woman says no, it's the beginning of the negotiation.
3. Always listen to that "funny" feeling.

Today on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Gavin de Becker discussed his free, violence assesment program, aptly named MOSAIC. This program helps determine how dangerous a situation is in the workplace, with students, against judges, public figures and officials, and in spousal situations.

I encourage ALL women to read "The Gift of Fear", and if you know someone in a dangerous situation, encourage them to seek help by going to their nearest battered women's shelter, or calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

"People should learn to see and avoid all danger. Just as a wise man keeps away from mad dogs, so one should not make friends with evil men." - Buddha

No comments:





2007 Uptown Liz