About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Thursday, July 8, 2010

Skin Care for a Cause: Interview with Joshua Scott Onysko of Pangea Organics (Part 3)


RR: What would you say your company’s claim to fame is?

JSO: Our claim to fame is that I personally believe that we’re the first organic skin care company that has proven to the world that you can be organic, 100% natural and still have the efficacy, and the things that people are expecting out of skin care. I think that we’ve proven it in every new product we’ve come out with that has over exceeded people’s expectations of skin care. That, for me, is one of the most important things. Because all of the other things we do as a company, like living wage, and supporting women’s cooperative, that’s an extension of who I am. I don’t expect people to buy our product because of that. That’s a bonus. I’m always going to be that way with business. At the end of the day, people buy a $50 Pangea eye cream that needs to get rid of crow’s feet.

RR: Once you come up for an idea for a new product, what is the timeline from start to finish? The fruition of the idea to on the shelf?

JSO: Two years. The facial oil that we designed took two years. I’ve been using oils on my face for ten years. The big misconception is that if I’m using oils, I’m going to get oily. A well designed facial oil will actually stop you from being oily. It’s called Balancing Oil for a reason. We went out on the market and I looked at what everyone else was selling. Well this isn’t going to do anything, and they’re charging like $60 for it. So I took two years to carefully develop and design facial oil that would be extremely balancing. It actually does what it says. I’ve tested it on many oily-skinned people and told them to use the way we say to use it, every day for six weeks, and sure enough, it works. Everything that we make has to work. We don’t put out anything just to put out a new product.

RR: Pangea is sustainable, eco-friendly, and so much more. How did you accomplish all of that?

JSO: Work, work, work. I’m very driven for what my mission is. I believe in what we’re doing 150%. When I wake up in the morning, the things I think about are what the company becomes. My dream was to create a sustainable company from the ground up. What we say internally here is that the fringe predicts the future. If you’re not on the fringe, you’re not going to have a future. So you constantly have to be thinking about what’s the next thing that we can teach the world how to do. Is it living wages? Is it micro financing? Is it new ingredients from a different part of the world? Is it looking at different packaging? I think we’re the first cosmetic company I’ve ever seen that focus on the efficacy and responsibility on an environmental level of packaging the way we do. No one ever knows why our bottles are brown. Light destroys the medicinal ingredients in 48 hours, so why are you buying clear, glass bottles? Our packaging is 100% zero waste, and you can plant it, and it grows a tree. These are things we should be doing. Not just us, but everyone.

RR: What is next for Pangea?

JSO: We’re just going to keep doing what we do best. Putting out highly, efficacious skin care with all the social and environmental standards behind the company.

RR: Tell me more about the Pangea Institute? Is it finished?

JSO: No, this is a 2012 project. The Institute is a living, breathing organization that will basically take the principals we’ve built into Pangea, and teach other people how to do it in their own business. Let’s say you wanted to start a jewelry company. We’re going to show you how to do it, but with the social and environmental principals that Pangea has. From A to Z.

Stay tuned for part 4.

1 comment:

martin said...

Oily skin is shiny, thick and dull colored. Often a chronically oily skin has coarse pores and pimples and other embarrassing blemishes. It is prone to blackheads. In this type of skin, the oil producing sebaceous glands are overactive and produce more oil than is needed. The oil oozes and gives the skin a greasy shine. The pores are enlarged and the skin has a coarse look.Beauty Products





2007 Uptown Liz