About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Calling All September Babies - Give Up Your Birthday for charity: water

Scott Harrison, the founder of charity: water, is using his birthday to make a difference for the second year in a row. Last year he asked people to donate money toward a well in Kenya instead of buying him gifts. He also called out to others born in September to do the same. The result was $159,000 raised that went toward a water system at three hospitals and one school in Kenya. All donors - no matter the size of the donation - had their name on the well at the Mogotio Health Clinic.

From Scott Harrison's birthday page:

I want my 33rd birthday to make a difference this year, and I need your help.
I recently returned from a trip to Ethiopia, where I visited 33 villages without clean water that you see on the homepage. The people I met there broke my heart. Some walked hours each day, breaking their backs carrying dirty water. Others drank water with leeches in it. I promised to help each and every one of them get clean water. And then to keep going and fight for others - to really make a dent in Ethiopia's water crisis.

I'm asking for your help. I want to raise $1.5 million to build at least 333 wells in Ethiopia. Those wells can give more than 150,000 people clean and safe drinking water. To do that, I'm giving up gifts that I don't want or need, and asking for your donations of $33, $330 or whatever you can give.

100% of all donations go DIRECTLY to build wells that will be proved on Google Earth, and all donations will be matched by a group of compassionate friends and businesses.

So $33 = $66, and $330 = $660.

If we're successful, we'll drill a well live from Ethiopia on September 7th, so you can see exactly what your money will do.

No comments:





2007 Uptown Liz