About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Monday, May 23, 2011

Lotto Winners Give Back: Donating to Kids in Their Hometown

Written by Marketing Intern Rose Provine

Jacki and Gilbert Cisneros purchased a winning lotto ticket last year in their hometown, Pico Riviera, CA. The winning lottery ticket was worth $266 million, making national headlines. Although the couple has moved away and spent millions on themselves, they wanted to give back to their hometown that had given them so much. 

The wealthy couple announced on TODAY Tuesday that they are going to provide substantial scholarship money to benefit students from Pico Riviera. The Cisneros' are giving the Hispanic Scholarship Fund money that will run into seven figures over the next five years to give students the financial assistance to achieve their dreams of attending college. 

“Kind of reflecting back on my own life and when I went to college, my parents, I knew, would support me in whatever decision I would do, but there was no push towards college,’’ Cisneros told TODAY’s Ann Curry. “There was no college fund. I kind of knew that I was pretty much going to have to do it on my own. Luckily for me I was able to receive a scholarship that enabled me to go on to college. Now that we have the means to do some good, we kind of want to give other students that same opportunity.’’

They hope the money will assist hundreds and possibly thousands of students of the years. The town and only high school, El Rancho High School, is very grateful.

No comments:





2007 Uptown Liz