About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Becky Lavelle of Jenny’s Light Interview (Part 3)

To read parts 1 and 2 of the interview, click here.


RR: How did you get into triathlons?
BL: I swam competitively since I was 10, got a scholarship to swim at LSU and knew I was done swimming after college but still wanted to compete and stay fit, so triathlon was the perfect thing. My brother Randy signed me up for a local race in 1995 and I never looked back from that!

RR: What do you like most about triathlons?
BL: I love being fit, traveling all over the world to compete, and I love the challenge of it; it’s always evolving and I’m always finding things I can work on or improve. And the fact that my husband also trains and races professionally makes it that much more enjoyable.

RR: What is an average day like for you when you’re training?
BL: Up at 5:20am, swim from 6-7:30am, breakfast, work on the computer for a few hours doing e-mails, Jenny’s Light, booking travel, keeping in touch with sponsors, updating my Web site, etc.. Then 1-1.5 hour run midday (or a 2-3 hour ride in the late afternoon with a 3 mile run off the bike), lunch, sneak a 30 min nap in if I can, run errands (groceries, plan meals, etc.), cook dinner (I love to cook!), do some more computer work, watch a little TV with Brian or read a magazine and pass out!

RR: You had one of your best racing years last year. How is that possible after going through such a horrific tragedy?
BL: I have to attribute much of my strength to Jenny and the fact that I wanted to make her proud. She would have wanted me to go on and be successful (and especially make the Olympic Team!). I also felt like I was racing for a greater cause; I knew success would also help the foundation and in turn help spread awareness of PPD and hopefully help save lives.

RR: How do you find balance between competing, Jenny’s Light and your personal life?
BL: It’s tough and I struggle with it from time to time, feeling like I’m overwhelmed with too much on my plate! But thank God I have Brian; he is so great at making me feel better and putting things in perspective. He’s my rock. I sometimes have to take a deep breath, step back, and remember the most important things in life are your health and your family.

Stay tuned for part 4 of the interview.

Photo caption: Becky doing a triathlon in Alcatraz in 2008.

No comments:





2007 Uptown Liz