About Us About Us About Us
Meet Liz Shop by Cause or Product
About Us
About Us
Home Contact Us
Uptown Liz Blog
Press

Uptown Liz Blog


Saturday, January 31, 2009

25 Random Things About Ramona Russell of Uptown Liz

Throughout my many interviews, I have been asked a lot of questions by the press. I thought I would share some of them here.

1. I was named after my paternal grandmother (Who I never met because she died of breast cancer at 42. We also look a lot alike.). The name goes back for several generations; the origin is Spanish and means protector, advice, decision.

2. My paternal grandmother was born in Portugal and my paternal grandfather was born in the Basque region of Spain. Whenever an elderly Portuguese or Basque person meets me, they always say they see that ethnicity in me.

3. My mother was born in a small town in Germany (which is not on the map) and adopted as a toddler by an American military couple. She named herself after a neighbor once she moved to the States. When I visited Germany, I felt very at home.

4. I am a mix of Portuguese, Spanish, German, Native American (Blackfoot tribe) and much more. I happily consider myself a "mutt" or "pound puppy".

5. I've run 6 marathons and several half marathons, 10 milers, etc. in 6 years.

6. I hope to qualify for the Boston Marathon one day. I need a qualifying time of 3:40, which is a 8:23 per minute/mile in a marathon. I have done this in a half marathon, but not in a full.

7. I have naturally (very), curly hair, which I don't wash every day.

8. I knew since college that I would be an entrepreneur.

9. Two (of the many) jobs I had in college were that of a makeup artist and nanny.

10. I have a terrible fear of flying (and heights), but do it anyway.

11. I won a state-wide writing contest in 6th grade. The story was then made into a play, which I then performed in front of the entire school. It was about two, female mouse detectives. Very deep.

12. The older I get, the more I realize I don't know.

13. I hope to meet Nancy Brinker one day (the sister of Susan G. Komen). I have a lot I want to talk to her about.

14. One of the people I most admired was Paul Newman. I loved that he moved away from Hollywood, his modesty about his looks and career, how kindly he spoke of his family and how he turned the tragedy of losing his son into a massive philanthropic footprint on this world.

15. As a child, I could be found visiting with the adults instead of playing with the kids.

16. I think the people I surround myself speak to what kind of person I am.

17. I over think and analyze everything, but to outsiders it looks like I jump in head first and become an over night success.

18. I am a Law & Order junkie.

19. There are many things in life that scare me, but I do them anyway.

20. Ironically, I was a supporter of cancer awareness and the military before my sister's illness and my brother enlisted.

21. I am passionate about being your own health advocate. I was before my sister's illness, but after that 2.5 years experience with the medical community, it has only intensified. I believe we are on the verge of a "health awareness" and find it very exciting.

22. I started Uptown Liz because I felt compelled - like a force drawing me in.

23. The best person I know is my husband. His morality, generosity, compassion and support is unmatched.

24. I believe I am meant for "big things" and can do anything I put my mind to.

25. I believe cancer will be changed forever in my lifetime, and I hope to play a part in it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!

Have not checked in for a while but you still inspire and move me ~

hblee88 said...

As I read your points, you are a person with passion in her heart, the glow in her eyes, and unbridled fire in your soul - a woman on a mission.
Keep on "keepin' on" Ramona for you are destined for greatness.
As it is said, "Gods delay is not God's denial."





2007 Uptown Liz